The Molnar Group held their 2nd community Open House on Friday, January 11, 2019 to present the current concept drawings of their proposed development for 388 Machleary Street. More background and detail can be viewed here.
Residents who were at the recent Open House, and others, may believe that the proposed development represents what is going to be built on the property, that approvals have already been given, and that “tweaking” the plans as presented is all that can happen now. However, the Nanaimo Old City Association has learned that the Molnar Group’s proposal is still at the earliest stage of the City’s project development process. To date, no approvals or amendments to existing policies that guide development in the Old City have been given, or even comprehensively reviewed. More information about the City of Nanaimo’s process for an Official Community Plan Amendment Application can be viewed here.
It is important for Old City neighbourhood residents to know that our community’s input at this early stage has its strongest voice. On Jan. 15, 2019 NOCA’S “388 Working Group” met and reaffirmed its position (communicated to the Molnar Group in a letter dated November 8, 2017 that the scale (density) and much of the design of the Molnar Group concept is inconsistent with the Official Community Plan, the Old City Neighbourhood Concept Plan, existing zoning bylaws in the surrounding community, and the community’s desires for the neighbourhood character and function to be maintained. Future meetings and communications to City officials and the neighbourhood will focus on this message. Click here for notes about current Land Use policies applicable to the immediate neighbourhood.
NOCA’s activity in response to the Molnar Group’s proposal for 388 Machleary Street in the coming months
- NOCA has sent a letter to Mayor and Council and City planning staff, advocating for the reinstatement of the Community Planning and Development Committee. This committee will provide a critical voice for NOCA on behalf of the neighbourhood.
- The 388 Working Group is planning a communication strategy for discussions with individual Council members in the next month or two.
- NOCA is considering an updated presentation to the new Mayor and Council (a presentation was made to the former mayor and council in December 2017).
- NOCA may plan another community meeting in the coming months.
NOCA will continue to actively represent the interests of the Old City in maintaining its character and integrity. Your participation and support in this important neighbourhood effort is welcomed and appreciated!
How can you get involved?
The more informed we all are about how the City’s existing policies and bylaws apply to the 388 property and surrounding neighbourhood, the stronger our neighbourhood voice will be. Here are some suggestions. Become familiar with sections on Land Use Designation in the following documents:
- the Official Community Plan
- the Old City Neighbourhood Concept Plan
- the Old City Multiple Family Residential Design Guidelines
Write to NOCA (www.nanaimooldcityassociation/Contact) supporting the integrity of Nanaimo’s Official Community Plan and the Old City Neighbourhood Concept Plan as they apply to the property known as “388 Machleary Street” (formerly Malaspina Gardens or The Old Hospital).
This content is restricted to site members. If you are an existing user, please login. New users may register below.